Winnie the Pooh Day in on the 18th of January. It’s actually A.A. Milne’s birthday, which is why the date was chosen.
In it’s Disney era, Winnie the Pooh has been cast as a character for baby-nurseries and babified for toddlers, but in truth, I think this has done them something of an injustice, with the stories being much more suited to early readers. They are clever, and funny and well worth dusting off for a quick evening read.
As such, we’re learning around the theme of Winnie the Pooh, which means we’re using the topic, however loosely to underpin our learning. Below are our ideas for celebrating Winnie the Pooh Day. The list will grow and link to other pages as the day gets closer, but I’m populating it as I go along.
To give you something to get stuck into in the meantime, however, here’s a FREE PRINTABLE BOOKLET for you to download and print. It has all sorts of puzzles, games and suggestions for your Winnie the Pooh celebrations.
*downloading will add your address to our mailing list. You can unsubscribe as soon as you like, but if you stay on the list, you’ll be notified when the next book, and additional updates to this one are added.
- Learn more about the world behind Winnie the Pooh
- Take a virtual walk through Winnie the Pooh’s Hundred Acre Woods
- Go on an “expotition” in the woods
- Have a picnic in the woods
- Find a bridge over a river or stream and play Pooh Sticks
- Build a house for Eeyore (build a den)
- Enjoy these quotes with lessons Winnie the Pooh teaches us about friendship
- Visit a friend (don’t forget to take a jar of honey!) or invite them over for a party
- Make or buy pink, yellow and blue play doh then use cookie cutters to make your forest friends
- Bake honey cookies (or any other honey recipes!)
- Make honey balls
- Play Tigger Hop
- Have a treasure hunt around the house (or the woods or garden)
- Choose your favourite Winnie the Pooh Quotes and make wall art from them
- Make a Modge Podge bowl using Winnie the Pooh prints, or paint with red, orange and brown to look like Winnie the Pooh’s very useful pot
- Have a Winnie the Pooh movie day – Amazon Prime has six movies and you can watch them during a 30-day free trial
- Make Winnie the Pooh Honey Popcorn
- Make up your own Winnie the Pooh adventure, write it down and illustrate it
- Egmont has a fantastic array of free Winnie the Pooh printables
And most of all, enjoy Winnie the Pooh day!