It’s Mother’s Day in the UK soon, and there’s little nicer than waking up to breakfast in bed. So, my advice, Mamas, is tell dads or older children to glance over here for some healthy, simple, child-friendly recipes brought to you by the HGCA. These recipes are so simple, children could make them (with supervision please!) and even not too kitchen savvy dads should manage!
Before I lose you completely in the gooey yumminess of pancakes and brownies, here are some interesting facts about something we all know, but know little about: Rapeseed Oil.
- Rapeseed oil is produced from the oilseed rape plant and comes from the same Brassica family as broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower.
- Rapeseed, along with linseed, are the only oils grown and bottled in the UK making them the best oils for those trying to lower their carbon footprint and eat local.
- Sometimes labelled as ‘vegetable oil’, rapeseed oil is lower in saturated fat and high in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats like omega 3 and 6 that can help to lower cholesterol when consumed as part of an overall healthy diet.
Add a flower and a Mother’s Day Card and it’ll be a treat indeed.
CHOCOLATE & CRANBERRY BROWNIES
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25-30 minutes
- 3 medium eggs
- 200g soft brown sugar
- 150g self-raising flour
- 50g cocoa
- 100ml rapeseed oil
- 50g dried cranberries
- 25g milk chocolate chips (optional)
Preheat the oven to 180oC, gas mark 4. Base line a 22cm square tin.
Whisk the eggs and sugar together until pale and creamy. Sieve the flour and cocoa together and gently whisk into the eggs, then whisk in the oil.
Pour into the prepared tin, scatter over the cranberries and chocolate chips if using. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool slightly before turning out of the tin. Cut into 12 pieces.
Replace the cranberries with any other dried fruit such as apple or chopped dates. For an extra healthy option, replace the flour with self-raising wholemeal flour.
Estimated total cost: £2.44
Estimated cost per brownie: 20p
FRUITY BUTTERMILK PANCAKES
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 150g self-raising flour
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 tbsp honey
- 150ml buttermilk
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil + extra for frying
- 100g fresh blueberries or raspberries
Place the flour in a large bowl. Whisk in the eggs and honey then gradually whisk in the buttermilk and 1 tbsp oil to form a thick batter. Stir in the fruit.
Heat a little extra oil in a frying pan and using a tablespoon, spoon some mixture into the pan to make 4 pancakes. Cook gently for 1-2 minutes each side until golden and cooked through. Repeat to make 12 pancakes.
For an extra healthy option, use self-raising wholemeal flour. Ideal drizzled with honey or maple syrup and scattered with fresh fruit.
Total cost: £1.76
Cost per serving: 44p
And Happy Mother’s Day, Mamas!
** This post was originally posted on April 2nd 2011. This is a repost.