As part of my quest for gluten-free living, I’ve been experimenting with buckwheat. Baking is such a big part of my life that quite honestly, I don’t see how I can go gluten-free if I can’t bake. I’ve really enjoyed this experiment, and while I find it is more expensive to use buckwheat, there hasn’t been a huge ‘getting used to’ period where taste is concerned. It’s good, it tastes good, and it’s just as simple to work with as normal flour. It is a little gloopier, and the texture is a little grittier, but it’s a fabulous and tasty recipe.
Buckwheat Banana Bread
Recipe Type: Bread, Free From
Serves: 9 muffins
A lovely, sugar free banana bread
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 ½ cups buckwheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup date puree (1/3 cup dates, covered with hot water and blended)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger spices
- Melt the butter and set aside.
- Whip the bananas with a hand blender until they are smooth and airy.
- Add the date puree, egg, vanilla, spices and butter to the bananas.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking powder.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry.
- Bake at 180C or 350F for about 30 minutes for cupcakes, 40-45mins for bread or cake
Gluten-free, sugar free