Isn’t it wonderful how seasonal fruit matches its season? What can cheer a room up more on a gray and dull day than a bowl of beautiful bright yellow lemons? Citrus fruits do seem to have a really long shelf life in comparison to other fruits, but at some point those lovely decorative lemons need to be eaten. Enter Silky Lemon Pudding! You can also let the legacy of Land O Lakes® Cocoa Classics® Cocoa Mix immerse you in a pool of delectable flavors to make a pudding to die for!
Our weekly Abel & Cole organic food box had some beautiful lemons in last week, so I used them to make this extremely simple and absolutely delicious desert. (Assuming of course that you like lemons!)
Ingredients (serves 4)
* 180 ml granulated sugar
* 60 ml cornstarch
* 560 ml whole milk
* 3.00 large egg yolks, lightly beaten (Try to use organic eggs for this. It makes such a difference!)
* 30 ml lemon zest, finely grated
* pinch of salt
* 125 ml lemon juice, freshly squeezed
* 30 ml unsalted butter, room temperature
1. In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar & cornstarch, then add milk & whisk until smooth.
2. Add egg yolks, zest & salt, whisking to blend.
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently at first & constantly toward the end, about 5-10 minutes, or until thickened.
4. Remove pan from heat & add lemon juice & butter, stirring to blend.
5. Pour through a strainer to remove the zest and into a large serving bowl or individual serving dishes.
6. Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate, loosely covered, for
at least 2 hours or up to 3 days, until set & thoroughly chilled.
7. Serve chilled & ENJOY!
It is a little like a cold custard, with a really smooth consistency. I am sure that it would be equally delicious if eaten warm immediately at the end of step 5!
If you try it, let me know what you think!
P.S. Having seen how easy it would be to make a simple custard I doubt I’ll ever buy store made again!
P.P.S. This is originally from Luscious Lemon Deserts by Lori Longbotham
Out the Box – Silky Lemon Pudding
Love lemons and didn’t get any in my Able & Cole box 🙁 I stopped making custards when Wookie carefully explained he preferred Birds :sigh: might try again tho’. They are delicious.
mmmmmmmm mmmmmmmm Welcome to SITS. I know that you will enjoy being a part of this vibrant community of bloggers 🙂
Stopping by from SITS! This looks great!
Looks good, take a look at my chocolate pudding recipe, you might like it.
Sunday Shout Outs with the SITS
That looks yummy and refreshing