Continuing on from last week’s ode to beetroot, I want to share this fantastic cake with you. I know you might think I’ve gone mad, but the truth is, beetroot and chocolate are a fantastic mix. Especially beetroot and bitter dark chocolate. And what a great way to get such a healthy vegetable into your children too!
In a way this is a ‘healthier’ chocolate cake too (or so I tell myself – hear me out!) as normally I like my chocolate cake to have a thick layer of equally chocolatey icing and a nice rich jam, cream or icing layer in theÂ middle. This recipe, however, is so rich, all it needs is a sprinkle of icing sugar for decorative purposes.
- 175 g cooked beetroots, roughly chopped
- 200 g plain flour
- 100 g cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 250 g golden caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 200 ml sunflower oil
- 100 g dark chocolate
- Heat the oven to 180C
- Tip the beetroot into a blender & blitz until chopped.
- Add a pinch of salt & the rest of the ingredients, expect the oil & chocolate.
- When completely mixed pour the oil in in a steady stream while mixing all the time.
- (If it is very dry, stir in a few teaspoons of milk, one at a time)
- Melt the chocolate
- Stir in the chocolate, then tip the mix into a lined 900g loaf tin or cake tin.
- Cook for 45 – 60 mins until a inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Leave on a rack to cool.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar to serve