I feel really sorry for beetroot. As far as vegetables go, it really drew the short straw. A lot of it’s unpopularity is, I’m sure, owing to some genius with a funny hairstyle (in my mind, anyway) deciding to shove it in bottles and drown it in vinegar. So today, when most people think ‘beetroot’ they think of strong vinegar stuffed pink things that make your mouth go all funny and colour everthing on your plate in pink streaks.
Well, there is another side to beetroot, and I’d love to introduce you to it. It has a soft, subtle sweetness, a delicate flavour that blends beautifully with other foods and yes, still turns everything it touches to a bright pink.
I highly recommend this recipe. It has such beautiful flavours. As an added incentive, beetroot is a superfood when it comes to getting rid of cellulite.
- 3 – 5 medium fresh beetroots
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 large onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 125 ml white wine or Chinese white cooking wine
- 225 ml chicken stock
- 250 ml plain yoghurt
- 400 g cooked fresh pasta
- salt and pepper
- parmesan cheese, shavings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200Â°C
- Wipe the beets clean, wrap in foil with the cinnamon stick and roast for 45 mins or until soft.
- Cool, unwrap and peel the beets then chop up into cubes
- Fry the onion and garlic in oil until soft, add the wine, bring to the boil and reduce by two-thirds.
- Add the chicken stock and return to the boil, reduce by about half.
- Add the beets and yoghurt then return to the boil and reduce to a thick sauce.
- Fold in the horseradish, if using, spoon over pasta and top with the parmesan shavings.
Cellulite Busting Beetroot Pasta
great article, it was exactly what I was looking for, thanks!
I LOVE beetroot (except the bit that makes your hands pink ;0) )
Luschka ~ chocolate beetroot cake is soooo good!!! I made it and didn’t tell the kids it had beetroot in it, after they finished I did, but they still said it was the best choc cake they’d ever had.
@Andrea, Lol! I’m so pleased you liked it! That’s fantastic – great news on the kids loving it too. I honestly think it’s the best cake I’ve ever had too!
You have gone beetroot crazy! Have never been a fan due to same reasons you state in blogg but I have some fresh beetroot in my vegbox and this receipe sounds lush!
@Lynn Goring-Crook, It really is! I totally enjoyed it – so much more than I thought I would. I’m also currently eating beetroot chocolate cake – I’ll give you the recipe for that next week!