This is such an amazing recipe. The bread is beautifully moist and such a lovely flavour.Â It uses less eggs than other recipes I’ve tried, and the addition of the coconut is unusual but brilliant. It’s also really quick to mix together, and fills the house with a subtle and warming fragrance.
- 2 cups flour (500ml)
- 4 tablespoons soft butter (60ml)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4) (4ooml)
- 1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt (60ml)
- 3 tablespoons milk (45ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5 ml)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder (4ml)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2.5ml)
- 1 cup sugar (250ml)
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut (125ml)
- 2 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut (30ml)
1. Preheat oven to180C (350F).
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until blended. Add eggs and beat to combine. Add banana, sour cream or yogurt, milk, and vanilla. Blend well.
3. Add flour, baking powder, and salt together. Mix gently.
4. Stir in the coconut. Pour batter into a bread pan that has been sprayed with baking spray or lined with parchment. Sprinkle additional coconut on top.
5. Bake in the oven for about 50-60 or until a knife or skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Check bread after about 40 minutes. If the top has browned and the coconut pieces are looking toasty, cover top of bread lightly with a piece of foil. Continue baking until done.When done, remove pan from oven.
6. Let cool on a cooling rack for about 10 minutes and then carefully remove from pan. Cool for another 15 minutes before slicing.